Undergraduate FAQ

 For program details, please see the official catalog description for "History" at CSUF.

What is the graduation check and when should I file for it?

  For more information regarding graduation check, please click view the offical grad check process. Opens in new window

Where do I go if I have questions about general education?

  Academic Advisement can answer most questions about general education requirements. Their hours are 9am-5pm, no appointments are required, and their location is Gordon Hall (GH) 123. They can also be reached via the Academic Advisement website Opens in new window or at (657) 278-3606.

Where do I go if I am disabled or have special needs?

 Disability Support Services are located in Gordon Hall (UH) 101, and they can be reached at (657) 278-3117 or via their page Opens in new window Opens in new window .

Where do I go if I have a problem with my Titan Degree Audit or questions about transfer courses or units that are not showing up on my TDA?

Admissions and Records generates the TDA and handles these problems. If the issue is with a History course, you should first see a history advisor. Questions about general education courses you have transferred should be brought directly to Admissions and Records. They are located in Langsdorf Hall (LH) 102 and they can be reached at (657) 278-2300.

If my TDA states that 110A and/or 110B have been waived for general education, do I still have to take them as a history major?

All History majors are required to take 110A and 110B either at CSUF or at a community college prior to transferring to CSUF, even if they have been waived for general education.

I transferred to CSUF from a community college and am CSU general education certified according to my Titan Degree Audit. But my audit stays that I still have general education courses to fulfill? Why?

All CSUF students have to complete not only their lower division general education, which can be done at a community college, but also nine units of upper division general education, which cannot be completed at a community college because community colleges do not offer upper division courses. That may be one reason why your TDA states that you still have general education courses to complete.

I took 200-level history courses at my community college. Can they count toward my CSUF major?

No.The History Department accepts twelve lower division units, six units of 110A and 110B, and 6 units of lower division US History. Community colleges only offer lower-division courses, whereas all the rest of the CSUF history units (besides the twelve units mentioned above) must be upper-division units/classes. Upper-division courses from four-year institutions can be transferred and count toward the upper-division requirements of our major.

I want to teach high school? What do I need to do to prepare?

Please contact the Center for Careers in Teaching at (657)-278-7130, or visit their office (Humanities Building 113). If you are a History major, please make an appointment with our credential advisor by visiting the Credential Program page, contacting the History Department Office at (657) 278-3474, or in person (Humanities Building 815 F).

How do I know which categories of the major a particular course I am taking fits?

Outside of the History Department office (Humanities Building 815F) you can pick up a copy of our “green sheet” which lists all of our courses and states the categories of the major in which they fit.

Can a History Advisor or the Department Chair help me get into a course that is full?

No. That decision is up to the instructor.

At my community college, if I stopped attending a course I was automatically dropped with no penalty. Is that the case at CSUF?

No. If you stop attending a course without formally dropping it, at CSUF you will receive a WU for the course (and a WU figures into your GPA like an F). Thus, don't just stop attending; drop the course or formally withdraw from the course. Forms are available from Admissions and Records in Langsdorf Hall (LH) 102.